February 23, 2013

Sunlight Soap, Why?



I have been asked why I choose to use Sunlight bar soap to make my little felted soaps. There are a few reasons. First: it is the soap I used when I first learned to wet felt. Second: it does not give me a rash. Third: everyone has a story about Sunlight soap. They sniff the bar and I can see the memory wash over their face, then they tell me. These stories are mostly associated with moms, grandmothers, old aunties doing laundry or cleaning surfaces. For me it is also the smell of clean, of making felted art with my mom, and creating felted objects with children I have taught at daycare. It is iconic in our society as it has been around for generations. It sneaks into our everyday. The story "Mud Puddle" by Canadian children's author Robert Munch has two bars of smelly yellow soap. In the background on a shelf at the morgue in the TV series "Murdock Mysteries" a bar of yellow soap sits. You know they are both references to Sunlight soap, and that makes me smile. I am all about stuff that makes me smile.