March 23, 2013

The Old Flattop Toque

the original form the 90's with button accents on fold over

earlier model with patch accents tacking down fold over

the present style with no tacking
 free to be folded back as needed
This flat top toque has evolved over the years. It first appeared around November of 1993-94. My mother is a maker of many things and it was the craft show season just before Christmas. It was a three day affair and to keep her from losing her mind she dragged me along so that she could take breaks now and then. Now with my mother you can not just help you need to bring some things of your own to sell. So I made a few hats using Polar Fleece. After several years of selling stuff at Twigg&Hottie on Main St. in Vancouver I decided to pull the old design out of the cupboard and dust it off. This time I used reclaimed woollen sweaters. This hat is perfect for all different kinds of hair styles. I sometimes have long hair and wear it up in buns (two), or in braids (two or more), or just loose. This toque has the room to get all the hair into it, if need be, or stay snug on my bean when there is not so much to contain. It is super cozy and has a few ways it can be worn, depending on need and mood.